12 Character Archetypes With Disney: The Lover

Intro

Back with another character archetype blog! Sorry for being a bit MIA, been a bit hectic, but I will try to keep this up either way. So, today we are diving into the Lover archetype. So let's see what we can come up with for this archetype. As always, take it with a grain of salt, there aren't just 12 types of characters, and sometimes a character can fit into more than one. This is just for fun to show examples of character types, using our favorite Disney Characters.

 

What is the Lover Archetype?

The lover archetype is a character who portrays devotion and passion. They love someone dearly, and sometimes go to the extend of putting their own safety and well-being at risk.

Character Strengths

  • Devotion: When they love someone, they are devoted to them, and will do anything to earn their love back.
  • Passion: They are very passionate when it comes to the person they love
  • Selflessness: They are selfless, putting the people they love first 

Character weaknesses

  • Willingness to sacrifice themselves for the person they love

Disney Character Examples

I couldn't find a whole lot on it, but I will try my best to link them to at least some characters in the Disney Universe. As always, let's see if we match, or if there is anything else you think works better for this.

Captain Phoebes - Hunchback Of Notre Dame

Think about it. This man was the captain of the guards. He was well known and high of status. But when he fell in love with Esmeralda, he threw everything away for her. Not just for her, but also for her people. He sacrificed everything for her. And honestly, when he was chased by the guards and ordered to be killed, I feel he did not even expect to survive. He did it for Esmeralda, to save her, and her people.

Prince Philip - Sleeping Beauty

I mean... He fought a literal dragon for her to save her. Made his way through thorns to get to her even. Sure, he had help from the three fairies, but he would have done it anyway if you ask me. He was pretty much devoted to Aurora the moment he even heard her sing.

Prince Eric - Little Mermaid

I think he fits in this category at least a little bit. He was already kind of a lover from the beginning. Not wanting to marry just someone, but wanting to find the girl he loved. The moment Ariel saved him, he devoted his life to finding the girl who saved his life. When found out who Ariel was, he wasn't afraid or shocked. He didn't hesitate to go after her when Ursula took her back to the sea, and he wasn't afraid to possibly sacrifice himself to save Ariel by stabbing Ursula with his ship.

Conclusion

So, like I said, this was a hard one, but I hope I still was able to provide at least some insight on this archetype with my examples. Who do you think fits in here? Did I miss anyone important? I probably might have, so don't feel too shy to let me know! I hope you all liked it, see you all next time! 

---  

Get Scrivener — my affiliate link (I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you).

No comments:

Post a Comment